Walk to Alnwick Castle & Alnwick Garden. The Hotspur is idealy situated to explore Northumberland’s historic sites, stunning countryside and golden coast
Explore the medieval market town of Alnwick, enjoying its many cobbled streets, narrow alleys and fine stone buildings which now house a range of specialist shops and family businesses.
A pleasant walk along the highstreet takes you to the famous Alnwick Castle, considered one of the finest castles in England and a major location for the Harry Potter movies, and Alnwick Garden, where you can experience The Grand Cascade and many stunning garden displays.
- Historic Castles – Lindisfarne Castle, Bamburgh Castle, Chillingham Castle, Dunstanburgh Castle in Border Reivers country.
- Beautiful Coastline – Large unspoilt stretches of white sands in a region of strong Christian Heritage where you can visit Holy Island and the Farne Islands nature reserve.
- National Trust properties – See magnificent interiors and walled gardens at Wallington Hall and discover the industrial heritage of Cragside House.
- Northumberland National Park – A nature reserve stretching from Hadrian’s Wall to the Cheviot Hills with superb walking scenery, a variety of wildlife and many historic sites.
- Hadrian’s Wall – See Vindolanda, Housesteads and Chesters Roman sites.
- Kielder Water – The largest man-made lake in Europe, with red squirrels, deer, rare birds and a haven for fishing, boating, riding and watersports.
- Day Trips – Durham City and Cathedral, Newcastle and Gateshead Metro Centre, Carlisle, Scottish Borders and Edinburgh
- Fishing – There are a wealth of beautiful Northumbrian rivers available.
- Walking – Challenging long and short distance walks across hills and uncrowded beaches.
- Golfing – Nearest golf clubs at Alnwick and on the coast at Alnmouth.
- Cycling – Enjoy cycle tours on virtually traffic-free lanes, forest roads and bridleways
- Bird Watching – Upland, lowland and coastal species.
Enjoy more images of Alnwick & Northumberland by Graeme Peacock